Monday, December 15, 2014

Growing up, but not growing old

Some time in November....

A dear old friend came up to me the other day and told me, "you are growing into such a beautiful young woman. I remember even just maybe a year ago, you were still just a little girl, but you've matured so much." She also said, "keep growing girl, bu just don't grow old" :)

I needed to hear that. I have been having some times where I have felt like I've been taking a few steps back. I have a lot of tendencies to go into certain modes of thinking and allowing myself to become overly stressed because of it.

Now it is December 15, and first off, happy birthdays to my Grandmother and my Sis in law....two very lovely women in my life.

I somehow forgot that I was in the middle of writing a new entry. I think that life has a way of happening sometimes. I honestly love staying busy, keeping a steady flow, and taking on whatever life decides to throw at me next.

Sometimes, the things life throws at me seem a bit harsh, unfair, or like it's just too much to handle, but there's always something that shifts my perspective, and reminds me that it's all just a part of the process. At my job, I recently was accused of something that I did not do, and could have lost my job because of it, but I didn't...but still, the anger and the feeling of being deliberately hurt runs through me...although more subtle today than the day it was brought up.
For me, this became a very big learning experience, and it has helped me realize that not everyone perceives things the same, and not everyone knows every detail. People see what they want to see, and are conditioned to see only the bad in others. I think most people, especially in our culture today, are seasoned to that sort of thinking. What I am striving to do is to only see the good in others, even if I feel deliberately hurt or offended by another person. How I see it is that everyone is simply just doing their best. I know this deep down, because I do not think anyone truly wants to hurt anyone just because they want to hurt someone. I think that when this type of thing happens, there are usually underlying feelings that have not been addressed, therefore build and build, until it explodes. Often times, things like this can cause some people to develop story lines, or melodramas, stories that are not actually real, in their heads. They repeat and repeat the story over and over again so that it becomes the truth to them, and then that is all they see. I know that I used to do this a lot until I was made aware of my tendency.

What I am getting at is that no one is perfect. Everyone has this humanness...a little good, and a little bad...all balancing out in the end. All of it teaches us so that we can become a better version of ourselves, and not blame or shame others for our emotions and our problems. We are each in total control of how we perceive the world around us...
I remember one time a friend asked me if I think the world is a loving place, and then I said no, because I felt as though people were out to get me...today, I think the opposite, because I honestly do think people are just trying to do their best, and when they feel stepped on or take something a way in which it was not meant to be perceived, the hurt feelings show, or not, and then all of that other stuff begins to play out. I know this from my own experience and growing throughout the past several years. And what is funny is that I feel like I still have a lot more growing and learning to do...I probably always will, and that will keep me from never growing old in my mind or in my heart, no matter how old physically I become...and for this too, I am grateful.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment