Sunday, August 3, 2014

Chewing on things

I haven't blogged in almost two months. I've been writing still... I just moved into my new house at the beginning of July. It's finally coming together, and feeling like home.
I also bought my first puppy :) she is a pit/Aussie mix.
Her name is Durga, although I was GOING to call her Kali, after the dark goddess from the Hindu mythology, because she's black, but I decided I didn't want her to be destructive. So I named her after the goddess of conquering evil with good. She still behaves more like a Kali, since she's a puppy and is curious about everything. She likes to chew on things. Today I experienced her first aggressive outburst, when I attempted to get her away from a dead bird. She snarled at me all mean and bit up my hand...only minor, but nevertheless, it upset me. I have to remember she is just a puppy. I have to go through her crapping and pissing all over my house and even on my bed (and my roommate's bed... Haha). But THIS TOO SHALL PASS! She's still cute and lovable, so I still love her. 

I've also been attending meditation groups at the Buddhist Shambhala Center in Tucson. It's been wonderful doing readings, learning and contemplating the dharma, and just being with people who all want to same thing. Inner peace. 

I am chewing on some stuff. 
We create pain in our own lives. It is tough to understand at first, but true. It makes sense to me now. We attract what we focus on. If we get all bound up in a storyline, rather than focusing on the feeling itself, we create more pain. It's a cycle that can only end if we intervene by changing the way we think. I feel it is an important concept that I wish I had understood in my younger years, although I would not be the same person today, had I not experienced the trials I have. 

Tonglin meditation...
Breathing in all the negative stuff in the world...
Breathing out all the positive stuff in te world.

I had no idea about this in the past, and it would have been so wonderful to know and practice. The thing is, we get into this mind set that we are the only ones suffering and that we are separate from everyone else, when in fact, we are all one. We affect each other. It's important for us to breathe in and feel the pain of the world, then to turn those stabs into flowers...releasing love out to everyone, including ourselves.

Compassion...

We cannot have compassion for others, if we have no compassion for ourselves. What we see in others is a mirror, reflecting ourselves to us. Every experience is a chance to evaluate ourselves and understand ourselves more fully...so that we can love ourselves more fully...so that we can love and understand everyone else. 

We are not separate from each other or from a higher power. We are all one...all affecting and impacting reality. We have so many paths we can take. Time is just a bunch of possibilities waiting to happen, and waiting until we intervene and make a choice...free will. Anything goes. We can create our hell, or we can create our heaven. It is up to us, individually, yet so completely together...

Isn't that amazing?

On a final note, I did 20 urdva danurasanas in class today. And I feel fabulous! Have a nice day. 💜



No comments:

Post a Comment